1
At the foot of the stairs she stumbled.
“Look out!” said Adam. It came to his surprise that she
might be drunk the night before her wedding.
“I wanted to travel the world.” She murmured while Adam was pulling her up. They both sat on the stairs, side by
side, their knees both touched.
“Rosa. You shouldn’t have been drinking tonight.”
She scoffed. “Fuck you.”
Adam’s face softened. “Why are you marrying this guy
anyway?”
“You want the truth?” Rosa wickedly smiled. “He is rich!”
Adam looked at her struggling words. He knew she wasn’t
happy with any of it. He knew she liked music, she liked adventures and all she
wanted to do was to leave.
“I don’t like him.” Said she. “I wish I could marry you and
live in a car.” She grinned at him.
Adam grinned back. “Wow you’re really drunk right now!”
“Yes! I think I am gonna throw up.” And she puked. But
luckily not over Adam. She excused herself beside the pool. Adam sat there
behind her, embarrassed but still looking at her freshen up from alcohol. She
didn’t drink ever before, but tonight was an exception he guessed. Because she
was getting married in a five-star hotel which had open bars and he could hardly blame her. Rosa splashed water into her face. Then stood
up, turned back to see Adam sitting motionless at foot of the stairs. She broke
into tears. Adam ran to her and wrapped her in his arms.
“Hey. You’re getting married to an
insanely rich guy.” Adam softly patted on her back.
“Can you just not say that? It makes me sick to even imagine
going bed with a stranger.”
“Here’s an idea. Be a run-away bride!” He said playfully.
Rosa released herself from his arms by then she spoke- “Or I could be just a
broke one.”
“I will help you through that. All you have to do is use
your lovely voice.”
“What?” She scoffed.
“I want you to go on a tour with me.”
“Adam. I am not that drunk right now. Will you stop messing
with me?”
“Get your passport.”
“Stop.”
“I am not kidding. Think about it.”
“Okay. I will think about that while you put me to bed.”
Rosa fell asleep into his arms. He shook
her twice but her eyes were shut and her breathe was heavy so he had no choice
but carrying her all the way to the hotel lobby. He was extra cautious about
not being seen with her hanging on his shoulder like that. After all she was
the bride-to-be and he was some guy she met in the musical fair few months ago.
Adam took out the keys from her jean’s pocket and opened the door to her VIP
room.
He covered her up with the fancy quilt served in bed. He
didn’t grow tired of looking at her face through the dim light. Her closed eyes
and pursed lips created a delusion into his mind.He dreamed of being with her, in
the New York city, traveling together, rocking stage of concerts as unpopular
celebrities. With her, it would be different. Her eyelids fluttered. Guess they were both dreaming. He with
his eyes settled on her and she in her sound sleep. Both minds were in a
mythical place. He caressed her face before leaving.
2
Rosa woke up before dawn with a massive headache. Memories
from last night flashed before her very eyes. Her eyes searched the four
corners of the room, for Adam. He was here. As she remembered. She drifted off
on his arms, the scent of his shirt still cling to her nose. She climbed out
the bed slowly, her head still spinning as the aftershock of alcohol hadn't gone yet.
“I am getting married tonight.” She found it hard to
breathe. The reflection of her in the mirror was enough to get a cold feet. She
looked tired and dozy. She went back to the room, took out her phone from the
bedside table and rang Adam. A few more rings and he picked up the other line.
Suddenly she found
herself in short of words.
“Rosa? You’re up already?” She could feel him shifting in
his bed from the other line.
“I was pretty drunk
last night, huh?” Her voice sounded sluggish.
“Yeah I had to put you bed and...listen…I’ve been awake all
night. Thinking about…” He wanted to say he was thinking about her but somehow he didn't get caught up in the moment. “ The offer
still stands if you’re interested.”
“ So you gonna help me escape this situation here?”
“You seemed quite unhappy about this situation.”
“I was drunk. I could be anything.”
“So you’re saying…”
“I am getting married tonight.” She interrupted.
Adam went silent. Rosa sat on the carpet, her phone pressed
against her cheeks, waiting for his reaction.
“Rosa, I just want you to be happy, that’s all.”
“I know.” She sighed.
“Okay.” He said.
“Okay.” She murmured.
She hung up. And drifted back to sleep with tear soaked
eyes. With the essence of her dreams end
in smoke.
3
“They don’t fit me, is that a jinx?” Rosa lifted her feet
from the fancy pair of bridal shoes her soon to be mother-in-law picked out for
her.
“Since when did you
start being superstitious?” Bianca, Her elder sister, said mockingly. “Don’t
worry you have loads of alternatives to try on. Regard it as…Your mother-in-law
is ignoble of the size of your feet.” She added.
“I think my feet
are of fair size.” Rosa shrugged.
“Don’t get too
cocky.”
Rosa
stared at her sister while she was busy wrapping up the mess of bridal things
and accessories she about to wear on this grand night. Bianca gave a puzzled
gaze back while Rosa was putting herself together.
“Do you like being
married?" Rosa asked her sister.
“Why yes. It’s not
that I like all of it, but there sure is much more to like about.” Bianca
stated.
“Why don’t you like
it all?”
“I think you know the
answer. Living with someone your entire life isn’t always fun…Wait are you
having a cold feet?”
“Maybe?”
“Rosa. You better
not believe in what I just said. Marriage is fun. It’s bursting with all the
fun things like honeymoon, sex and babies
a lot of exciting things.” Bianca blabbered nervously.
Rosa scoffed. “Now
I think you’re getting a cold feet.”
“Rosa, you’re not
thinking to call it off, are you? Cause this guy Jason…”
“Is freaking rich,
I know.”
“I was gonna say
hot. But okay yeah. And have you seen the look on his face when he sees you?”
“Umm…what?”
“You make him melt
like the Popsicle on the fourth of July.” Bianca mocked.
“Did you just quote from The Little Rascals?!” Rosa rolled her eyes.
“So I don’t see a
point of you having second thoughts. Marry him.”
“Will you do that
for me?”
Bianca spanked Rosa in a playful motion.
“What? You're the one who finds him hot!” Rosa exclaimed. They both giggled.
Comments
Post a Comment